Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Adventures in Sequins Inaugural Post

Welcome to Adventures in Sequins. I'm Samira. This blog will be about my attempts at belly dance costume construction - my failures and victories, the techniques I try and (with any luck) the final results! I hope to share some vendor information and perhaps review some articles and web sites for their DIY costuming info.

A bit about me: I've been studying Middle Eastern Dance for four years, which is to say I'm still a beginner. I currently study with Amarna of Banat el Nile Dance Academy in Calgary, AB as a member of her senior performance troupe. To me, dance is life. Sparkly things enhance the magic!

As a gauge of my sewing skill level, for those of you who might want to follow along: I consider myself an extreme novice in sewing. I've drafted and sewn darts, but I've never inserted a zipper. (In fact, there's a three-year-old project sitting in my closet that stalled when it came time to sew the zipper. I'll get to it eventually.) I can thread my sewing machine, cut out a simple pattern, muddle my way through directions, press seams and attach buttons. There's usually a significant amount of swearing.

Laughter

I'm not a complete newbie when it comes to sewing belly dance costumes. To date, I've made harem pants, a tiered 10-yard skirt, cloak-style cover up, coin bra, tassel and fringe belts and a Ghawazee-inspired vest. I've worn them in public without being ridiculed, so I must have done something right. Perhaps at some point I'll go back and recount those projects. But for now this blog will report on the new projects I undertake.

Outside of belly dance costuming, I've created other costumes as well, both for myself and for my husband, including Jedi robes, pirate gear, faerie wings and even a bit of Steampunk fashion.

Also? I'm fat. So there are some special considerations for me to make when costuming. That's not to say that this blog will be about hiding my stomach, covering bulges or "camouflaging" flabby arms. It will touch on designing and creating well-fitting and flattering costumes to fit my fat body. I don't want to look like a lumpy sausage tied in sequin trim.

So thanks for joining me. Leave a comment and let me know you're out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment